January 6, 2017 by Bret Kramer (aka WinstonP)
I am very pleased to announce Arkham Gazette #1 is available for sale. This is a reworking of our 2013 version; many of the articles have been revised and expanded and there are three additional articles. All told, this version of issue #1 is about 50% longer than the original.
The focus of this issue is the legendary city of Arkham itself, home of Miskatonic University. (If you’re looking for a copy of Arkham Unveiled aka HP Lovecraft’s Arkham, while the book is out of print, you can still obtain a PDF copy from Chaosium. They have Dunwich as well, but poor Innsmouth and Kingsport are not currently available. Sorry!
Topics covered in this issue include (I’ve marked the new articles with a *):
- A guide to useful locations in Arkham from published scenarios
- The Gladding School – an institution for mentally impaired children and other ‘undesirables’
- An in-depth look at Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New-English Canaan
- *An Encounter on West Armitage Street – a scene you can insert into a scenario
- Arkham’s Boundary Markers, a historical New England oddity
- The Case of the Missing Manhole Covers – a scenario seed
- “Reports of Delusions of an Invisible Monster” – a prop document
- *Arkham’s Diners, a guide to a distinctively New England style of eatery
- *Arkham’s Curios, odd items, mysterious and malign, to use in your games
- “The Bosworth House”, Ben Wenham’s scenario of personal horror, wherein madness creeps just beneath the surface
- An Annotated list of the more than 50 Arkham-set Scenarios, offering not only scenario summaries but notes about significant locations, entities, and tomes.
All copies of the issue – POD or PDF, come with several free PDFs, including 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu conversion notes, and a complete set of handouts and maps from the issue. PDF copies are $8; Print copies are $13.
The revamped issue #1 was made possible by our successful Kickstarter for Arkham Gazette #3. The issue was laid-out by Chris Huth. Chris also provided many of the issues illustrations while Ian Maclean provided artwork for our scenario. Handouts were prepared by Dean Engelhardt and maps for our diner article were created by Jef Wilkins. Contributors includes myself, Chris Huth (who wrote several of the curios and ‘An Encounter…’), Ben Wenham (who as mentioned above wrote “The Bosworth House”), the mysterious Aleolex who wrote “Reports of Delusions…”, and Evan Van Elkin who contributed one of the ‘curios’. Dean Engelhardt, Graham Donald, and Charles Gerard all helped greatly with the Arkham scenario list. Proof-readers of the original and revised draft include Dean Engelhardt, Tyler Hudak, and Christopher Smith Adair.
We will post a more general update about the status of various SHP product shortly, including new about Arkham Gazette #2 and #4, the last of our Kickstarter, October-ganza (it isn’t entirely dead), Graveyards of Lovecraft Country, and more, in a day or two.