An Offer to Miskatonic Repository Authors1
January 5, 2018 by Bret Kramer (aka WinstonP)
Are you thinking of submitting a scenario to Chaosium’s Miskatonic Repository program?
Is it set in Lovecraft Country?
I would like to offer my assistance as an expert on Chaosium’s Lovecraft Country setting to anyone who is working on a submission to the Miskatonic Repository program. As the editor of the Arkham Gazette I think I know Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, Innsmouth (and more) as well as anyone and I’d like to put that specialized knowledge to the use of the wider Call of Cthulhu community.
What I offer:
- Extensive knowledge of established setting materials (and scenarios). Why invent a pharmacy for Arkham when there’s already Bryant’s Apothecary (A-441A) and a Walgreens (701)? (Yes, I do have a an index of all the numbered locations and I’m happy to share.) I’ll also give you a heads-up if you’re covering similar ground to a previous scenario. I can also point you towards scenarios that might be of interest.
- Familiarity with the fictional sources that inspired Keith Herber and Kevin Ross (and others) in their development of Lovecraft Country. I can point you towards the story where, for example, the Larkin Institute (A-902 by the way) was mentioned, or in which story Lovecraft described the Old Wooded Graveyard (A-405).
- Expertise in New England folklore in history and suggestions on how to tie your scenario into those source of Lovecraft’s inspiration. While I don’t know every detail of New England history, I can at least direct you to a good source or two for you if you need to know more about, say, mining or the Massachusetts State Police.
- Very general feedback. I’m happy to give my general impression but I won’t edit your scenario (see below).
What I’m not offering:
- Detailed scenario feedback.
- Editing work.
What I ask:
- A copy of the PDF when the scenario or project is released.
- A thanks to ‘Sentinel Hill Press’ in the credits.
I will gladly accept any help you’re willing to offer.